Trinidad craft makers - first in Caribbean to receive international certification
Sunday, November 21 2010 @ 11:17 AM AST
Contributed by: bngs
This group of graduates is the first to be formally certified in the area of Craft Training in the Caribbean, following five months of training in the Apprenticeship Phase through the ECCL. Graduates can then move on to the level of Journeyman and then, Master Craft. Twelve persons will also be awarded certificates as Assessors and one as an Internal Verifier.
The Export Centres programme is mandated to empower members of village communities and in particular, female heads of households, through the production of craft for the export market.
The Community Development Division selects the trainees and provides the funding for the management and training activities. The revenues from the export of products are deposited in the Consolidated Fund. Centres are located throughout the country.
The ECCL’s main objective is to provide export-specific training for persons who previously received basic training in craft development at the Community Development Division’s training or those who benefitted from other relevant training exposure.
Its main targets are members of village communities, particularly female heads of households. The ECCL falls under the purview of the Ministry of Community Development.
Information - City and Guilds relationship with ECCL
· ECCL Approval to offer City and Guilds International Design and Craft Examinations (IVQ) – September 25 ,2009
· Present examinations approved to offer –
- Machine Techniques - Level 1
- Curtain Making - Level 2,3
- Soft Furnishing Level - 1,2&3
- Textile Decoration Level 1 ,2,&3
· Craft courses awaiting approval
- Sugar Modeling - Level 1
- Sugar Decoration - Level 2&3
- Confectionary - Level 1,2
- Sugar Flowers - Level 2,3
- Patch work and Quilting - Level 1,2
- Ceramics Level - 1,2
- Leather Level - 1
· To be submitted
- Over 18 Craft course areas
· ECCL Staff certification required with City and Guilds
- Tutors to be certified as Assessors
- Programme Delivery Supervisors to be certified as Internal Verifiers
· ECCL trainee
- Upon completion of our craft training and successful assessment would be certified with an International Vocational